Frequently Asked Questions

  • My car is paid off. Do I still need full coverage insurance?

    If your car was totaled and you would need the insurance money for the downpayment on a new vehicle, then you should keep full coverage insurance.

  • Who do I contact to report a claim?

    You can either contact your carrier directly, the claim specialist at ICI or the account manager.

  • Are earthquakes covered under my "regular" Homeowners insurance?

    No. Many people are surprised to find that their Homeowners, Mobile Home, Condo Unit or Renters policy doesn’t cover earthquake damage. For earthquake coverage, you need a separate earthquake insurance policy in addition to your regular policy.

  • What factors are considered when determining my car insurance price?

    Some of the factors that influence your premium include:

    • Age or driving experience
    • How your vehicle is used
    • Driving history
    • Claims history
    • Make and model of your vehicle
    • Geographic location
    • Credit history

  • What factors are considered when determining my property insurance price?

    Some of the factors that influence your premium include:

    • Location of risk
    • Construction
    • Age of insured
    • Age of home
    • Credit history

  • What auto coverage limits do I need?

    You must carry the minimum car insurance coverage limits required by law, which varies by state. After you have met the minimum legal requirements, you can choose to increase your coverage limits for greater reimbursement potential. For additional protection, you can also choose to add additional car insurance coverage, such as Comprehensive and Collision, Towing and Labor, and more.

  • What coverage will protect me if I have vehicle damages that don’t occur from an accident?

    Generally, comprehensive insurance coverage will pay for non-accident-related vehicle damages. Comprehensive coverage will usually pay for costs from:

    • Weather damage
    • Fire damage
    • Animal collisions
    • Vandalism
    • Theft

  • What coverages will pay for my medical bills after an auto accident?

    The answer depends on who is at fault and what coverage you have.

    • If you are not at fault, the other party’s liability coverage is responsible for helping pay your medical bills after an accident UNLESS you live in a no-fault state.
    • If you are at fault, but you live in a no-fault state, your personal injury protection coverage will help cover your medical bills.
    • If you’re hit by a driver with no insurance or insufficient limits, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage can step in.
    • Medical payments coverage can also be used to help pay your medical bills after an accident, regardless of fault.

  • Will my car insurance pay for a rental if my car is in the shop?

    Typically, you’ll only be covered for the cost of a rental if you’ve purchased Rental Reimbursement coverage. It may be required that you have Comprehensive and Collision insurance coverage in order to purchase this type of coverage.

  • What happens if I hit my own car?

    If you hit one of your own cars while driving another of your cars, Liability insurance will not cover you; it only covers damages to any party in an accident you cause. However, Collision coverage will pay for those damages to your vehicle if you’ve elected to purchase it.

  • Am I covered by my own auto insurance when I drive my friend’s vehicle?

    Generally, yes. However, in most cases your friend’s insurance would be the primary coverage, meaning you’d only access your own coverage in the event that the limits of his policy were met.

  • Who is covered by my car insurance?

    Any licensed drivers in your household are generally covered to drive your car, as well as anyone else who has permission to use your vehicle.